Friday, November 21

the congo

Do you guys know what's happening in the Democratic Republic of Congo?
I knew, I had heard vaguely but I was watching the news tonight and got a glimpse of just how bad it has gotten.

The people live in refugee camps that are patrolled by the rebels.
I heard how one 15 year old girl went to get firewood with her friends and was raped by a soldier.
It went on to say that even though alot of the camps supply wood and such so they don't have to go out, the women and children are still not safe, their are rapings in the camps because the rebels are the ones holding the guns.
This totally cut me.

I researched a little bit about this war and found that it has been going on since 1998.
It cut me that the world is only just starting to notice, that we are only just starting to care.
This is the worlds deadliest conflict since World War II.
It has killed 5.4 million people so far.
The prevalence and intensity of rape and sexual violence is the worst in the world.
The UN, Rwanda, Uganda have all been involved in this time to try and bring peace to the country. There were peace treaties but they failed.

I don't know. Maybe this is why I feel like I'm running out of time. That things like this are happening all around the world and us in our luxury look the other way and forget.
When I think about all those people I dying can just see God crying for the lost; that they never had a chance to know Him. My heart starts to break.

God works in surprising ways. For awhile last year I steadily prayed for God to give me a heart for the people. For His people. Slowly it is happening a year later. Slowly God is starting to put people other than myself in my heart. I still have so far to go. I am still a self-centered human. But now my heart breaks for God's children; my prayers are turning from my needs, to the needs of others

And in all this I am realising that a path for one is not the path for all.
That God has a plan and I'm starting to understand it a little more.
He knows what will most fulfil me most.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles,
and let us run with perseverence the race marked out for us.

3 comments:

Christina Jane November 21, 2008 at 9:16 PM  

Woah that's crazy Emma. Times like this I really feel for the Lord, oh how his heart must break. Saw a bit of that Ethiopa programme about girls getting cirucmsised, man thats insane.. the number of deaths doing so, just to prevent women cheating on the men - such control. I love your heart Em.

Jenny November 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

Woah thanks for bringing that to our attention. I can't believe the cruelty and unneccesary violence of the world - it makes me so angry. And then we're all just so ignorant about it. Most of the time I just don't know what to do other than pray. I love your heart too and that you're finding out this stuff willing and wanting to make a difference. Love you xox.

Alana November 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

I know how you feel, it breaks my heart, it makes me sick, the hopelessness of it all distresses me, there is nothing I can really do, that is the worst thing. THe congo shows how much the world despretly needs God, it shows how much we have destroyed what God gave us. But it also calls for people to untie as God intended them too, too stop poverty and war. I just pray that those who have the power to change things, the people that the world has elected to represent them, have the disare and the will to do so.