Saturday, October 4

The Kite Runner


I just finished watching the Kite Runner.
If you haven't seen it I want you too. It's good.
It's so hard to explain, I wish I could but I'd spoil it.

There's a scene that stayed with me.
Amir throws a rotton tomato at his best friend Hassan and says 'I dare you to throw one back'
After throwing three at him, each landing on Hassans chest he challenges Hassen again to throw one back at him. But even after those three Hassan won't throw one back at his friend.
Instead Hassan picks up one and smears it across his own face, degreding himself more.

It moves you to tears that this little boy loves his friend and master so much [Hassan is the son of the servant Amir's father hires] that he won't throw a tomato at Amir.

I cried. Throughout the whole movie.
It isn't graphic but it's shocking, sad and so so moving.

It is a story about family, a story about friends, but above that it's a story about redemption and putting things right.

Hassan to Amir; "For you a thousand times over"
---
Amir; "Would you eat dirt if I asked you to do that?"
Hassan; "If you would ask it I would...... But you would not ask that, would you?"
Amir: "Of course not"

1 comments:

Christina Jane October 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Wonderful film.. The love Hassan has to Amir blows our little selfish minds huh. Glad you got to see it, I was hoping someone else (like you) had watched it.