Tuesday, October 14

worlds; mine and others


Tonight the sky was blue. And it stayed a shade of blue until the light became to dim and it now appears black. It wasn't the grey, unhappy blue or the bright, summery blue but the blue that is somewhere in between.
It was the blue that when you look into makes it easy to believe that it goes on forever and at the same time makes you think the earth is covered in a blue wrapping with nothing behind it at all.

When I first began to learn about Physics I used to entertain myself by thinking that every atom, was a planet with moons. The people lived on the nucleus and the electrons were moons and other planets orbitting. That in the atoms that make up this keyboard, my room, the world outside, each was home to people like us who were unaware of us, more bigger beings.
I liked to think the earth was just another nucleus of an atom, the sun was an even bigger nuclues of an atom and we are so miniscule that we cannot even comprehend that our planet is one atom among billions [the universe] making up a bigger societies keyboards and tables and pens.
And just as I was typing this I realised the keys I am hitting are probably destroying people's worlds and I started typing somewhat more carefully, more gently until I was barely touching them at all.

After a awhile of trying to press the keys without really touching them I gave up in frustration and began hitting the keys again aware that if we indeed are part of a bigger worlds keyboard, I should be expecting our world to be squished sometime soon which means the worlds in my keyboard are going to be squashed out of existance anyway.

I think my imagination has run away with me in instances like this.
...
This is what happens when I learn about Modern Physics. My imagination starts to wonder at all the endless possiblities of what is out there in the stars and what is not really there at all. I think about how complex and big God must have been to create the Universe which is said to go on infinately.
And then I think how precise, how delicate and how much more complex He must be to create atoms, nuclei and electrons.

The moon is also full tonight. And big. Normally I find driving at night lonely, no matter how short of distance I'm going but with the moon up I just feel more comforted, more content, like I am not alone in the world.


When the moon is up and I'm driving, I feel like Jesus is next to me and that if I spoke to Him he would quite possibly speak back.

3 comments:

Christina Jane October 14, 2008 at 10:06 PM  

Whoa I was feeling just that when I drove home tonight.. The moon is beaut. Isn't it crazy to think that we are seeing the same moon that people around NZ are seeing, and people in Europe and Asia and Mexico and Iceland (all at different times of course).. but yet still the same moon. And often I get the feeling it is there just for me.

I am picturing you picturing people on your keys and trying to type without touching and I have this goofy smile on my face imagining you being so cute.

Taylor Fine October 15, 2008 at 5:55 AM  

Well now you've ruined drumming for me. I'm glad to know I'm destroy worlds as I head the plastic heads made up of verious molecules and atoms. Which are just small little universes just like ours.

I have to say that I think of that from time to time.
When you look up at the stars and think that that's not even where the start is. The universe is almost endless. With natural wonders that would boggle and just amaze your mind. And then to think that same God who created such beauty created us.
It really makes me happy :)

Jenny October 16, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Wow we are alike sometimes! I feel like that everytime the moon's out adn I'm driving. I feel insecure adn lonely with no moon. But the moon is comforting, holy. And Jesus is there.

I read Christina's comment and it made me smile! You're so cute Emma. Rather like the borrowers... :-)